Carlisle Street Pastors
Carlisle Street Pastors is part of the national Street Pastor network - we have been engaging with people on the streets of Carlisle since Saturday 5th June 2010.
What is a Street Pastor?
Street pastors are trained volunteers from local churches who care about their community.
They patrol in teams of men and women, usually from 10 p.m. to 4 a.m. on a Friday and Saturday night, to care for, listen to and help people who are out on the streets.
A street pastor is someone who is…
- a Christian and is part of a local church;
- concerned for society and their local community;
- willing to engage with people, whatever their perspective on life and wherever they hang out;
- happy to work in a team and in collaboration with other agencies and projects, both statutory and voluntary.
Want to become a Street Pastor?
Street pastors come from right across the Christian community and can be anyone who:
- has been committed to a church fellowship for more than one year, with a personal reference from their minister or church leader
- has attended the training programme
- is over the age of 18
- has been checked by the Disclosure and Barring Service (DBS)
How can you help to make a difference?
The service costs more than £3,000 a year to run which has to be raised by local volunteers.
- Make a donation - You can make a single donation or a regular payment. If you are a UK taxpayer you can increase your donation, at no extra cost to you, through the Gift Aid Scheme.
- Organise a fundraising event - As an individual or as part of a group, an organisation or with work colleagues. Support us by remembering us at special celebrations, birthdays or anniversaries. Take part in a sponsored event or challenge event - run a marathon/climb a mountain.
- Sponsor part of our activity - You can give a financial contribution to support an event, or part of our work or make an in-kind contribution by offering your goods or services, for an event or as a raffle prize.
- Legacy - You can leave a lasting memory by making a bequest in your Will.
- Payroll giving - Why not set up a payment direct from your salary to Street Pastors.
Kathy Howe, Carlisle Street Pastor Co-Ordinator
Tel: 01228 511819