Bowness on Solway, Kirkbride and Newton Arlosh

The Revd Peter Blackett
The Rectory
Church Road
Kirkbride
Carlisle
Cumbria
CA7 5HY
016973 51256

Bowness on Solway St MichaelChurch SIF Form »  |  Location Map »


Bowness on Solway
St Michael's is in the centre of the village of Bowness-on-Solway village on the southern shore of the Solway Firth. It is 13 miles west of Carlisle and 11 miles north of Wigton. Bowness-on-Solway is the western terminus of the Hadrians Wall.

We offer traditional worship and a warm welcome for visitors and those staying in the area. The Hadrian's wall trail begins in Bowness on Solway and we are on a cycle route.

A church has existed on this site since Norman times, but the present building is the result of a restoration completed in 1891.Some of the masonry is Roman and the only visible remains of the fort which once occupied the site of the present village. The chancel arch and oak ceiling date from the restoration. The chancel has a Norman window, and all the windows are of stained glass.quare Norman font is described by Pevsner as 'excellent' and has leaf decoration. The bells are said to have been stolen in a Border raid, and St Michaels's has the Scottish bells from the counter raid. Other features include a Breeches Bible, millenium banner and an ongoing project to replace the kneelers. In the churchyard a smuggler's grave, ancient sundial and hearse house can be seen.

11.00am Morning Prayer

11.00am Holy Communion

11.00am Morning Prayer

11.00am Holy Communion

10.45am Morning Service at the Chapel, Port Carlisle

see Parish Magazine

Kirkbride St BrideChurch SIF Form »  |  Location Map »


Kirkbride
The church is situated on an elevated site at the north end of the village overlooking the Wampool estuary. It is accessed from the B5307 via Church Road.

St.Bride's serves a small village community and its surrounding rural area. The congregation are welcoming and caring. Our church fosters an inclusive approach where members are encouraged to contribute to and participate in worship.

12th Century. Grade II listed. It is advisable to check times and local weather tides before setting off. Tel 016973 51256

9.30 am Holy Communion

9.30 am Holy Communion

9.30 am Holy Communion

9.30 am Holy Communion

This is a United Service at one of the churches within the benefice.

www.kirkbridecommunity.co.uk

Newton Arlosh St John the EvangelistChurch SIF Form »  |  Location Map »


Newton Arlosh
Details to follow

St John’s is the parish Church of a small village.

St John’s was built in the fourteenth century under the patronage of Holm Cultram Abbey, to serve the new town of Arlosh following abandonment of Skinburness due to flooding. Legend has it that St Ninian preached here in the fourth Century. St John’s is a fine example of a fortified Church and was used as a stronghold during border raids. The main door is narrow. Windows of plain glass. The Church was rebuilt by Sarah Losh in 1844 and is not in conventional orientation; the vestry faces East.

10.45 am

10.45 am

10.45 am