Crook

The Revd George Briggs
St Thomas' Church
Stricklandgate
Kendal
Cumbria
LA9 4QG
01539 730683
george@stkmail.org.uk
 
Revd Gavin Rushton
LA8 8LW
01539 730683
crookadmin@stkmail.org.uk

Crook St CatherineChurch SIF Form »  |  Location Map »


Crook
4 miles north west of Kendal on the B5284 travelling towards Bowness

The Parish Church of St Catherine’s Crook is a joyful and loving family of Christians seeking to worship God, love and care for one another, and reach out to others with the good news of Jesus for today.

St Catherine’s is part of the “Two Valleys Team”, but has been in plurality with St Thomas’s, Kendal since a Pastoral Re-organisation Scheme in 1977.

Our Vicar is the Rev George Briggs, and we look forward to welcoming a new curate in June 2016.  We have two Readers on our Ministry Team, and we are fortunate also to be a served on a regular basis by members of the St Thomas’s Ministry Team .

The church was built in 1886 by Stephen Shaw of Kendal to replace the old church, whose tower still stands in the fields a quarter of a mile to the south.

The style of the present church is late perpendicular: the tower has no buttresses, which is very similar to the original.

The present church consists of nave and chancel, west tower, and north porch. To the south of the chancel is a vestry with a basement under it. A small addition at the south-east corner, built in 2002 houses  toilet facilities  suitable for wheelchair users.

To the east of the building is a small car park, and further parking is also available further along the B5284 to the south-east.

The second parking area was provided in 2008 on land purchased from Crook Hall and Yew Tree Farm ,  together with land  consecrated  by the Bishop of Penrith on June 4th 2007  for a new burial ground. A path leads from the car park alongside the burial ground up to the church.

In 2008 a small kitchen was formed in the Tower Vestry to enable  tea and coffee to be made to serve after our Morning Worship.

In 2010 a pew was removed and disposed of from the rear of the nave on the north side, and the next pew reversed, to create an increased area for fellowship and the serving of refreshments following worship.

Features of interest include:-

In the south window of the Tower Vestry there is a small glass panel, badly cracked, with a figure of Christ, which is probably 18th Century.

In 2002 a stained glass panel with the coat of arms of the Gilpin family was fitted into the middle window on the south side of the nave. The dedication panel below it reads “In memory of the Gilpin Family of Crook and Kentmere.”

Bells. The church has two bells. The original church bell, according to local research, was cast in the late 14th century. It was used in the Old Chapel, and possibly in an even older Medieval Chapel, which is thought to have stood in these fields long before the 1500’s. The bell is reputed to be one of the oldest in Westmorland, and is said to be listed in the Westmorland Volume of the Royal Commission on Historical Monuments. Over the years it has developed cracks, making it no longer safe to use.

 In 1980 a replacement bell was obtained from a redundant Church in Yorkshire. This bell, which is still in operation, is by John Taylor and Co of Loughborough, dated 1901. It is hung from a steel frame.

On the south wall of the nave is a War Memorial in memory of the fallen in the first and Second World Wars. There are four names from World War One :  Robert Barker of Sander Hill; George Walker of Box Tree;  Thomas Sanford Lishman of Spigot House; and David Patrickson of Michelland.  There is one name from World War Two: Derrick Read of Pepper Cottages. 

Also on the south wall of the nave is a wall hanging created from a design by Thelma Brown and Pauline Taylor, to reflect the past, present, and future of the Crook Community.

The idea for the wall hanging came about in late 2008, and was created during the  Autumn and Winter of 2009  by a sewing group meeting in the Memorial Hall, and during 2010/2011 with the group working in church. Over twenty ladies from the Church family and wider community of Crook were involved, under the guidance of Olwen Cameron who inspired and encouraged the group to produce this amazing piece of needlework. The work was completed in October 2011, and dedicated by Canon Tim Montgomery, at a Service of Celebration on the 27th November 2011.

 

11.00 am - Morning Worship

Visitors are most welcome, and are encouraged to stay for coffee and fellowship after the service.

 

11.00 am - Morning Worship

Visitors are most welcome, and are encouraged to stay for coffee and fellowship after the service.

11.00 am - Holy Communion

Visitors are most welcome, and are encouraged to stay for coffee and fellowship after the service.

11.00 am - Morning Worship

Visitors are most welcome, and are encouraged to stay for coffee and fellowship after the service.

 

Combined service in one the churches of the Two Valleys Mission Community

On the first Tuesday of the month there is a coffee morning for anyone in the parish to call in and enjoy fellowship. 

On the third Tuesday of every month at 2pm, in Church, we hold St Catherine’s Prayer Time, led by Rev George Briggs. Everyone is welcome to join us for a time of prayer together.