Harrington

The Revd Julia Powley
The Rectory
Harrington
Workington
Cumbria
CA14 5PN
01946 830215
julia@powley.plus.com

Harrington St MaryChurch SIF Form ยป


Harrington
Main Road, Harrington, Workington
Details to follow

There has been a church on the site since Norman times (on a foundation from 1177) and it has been rebuilt twice – firstly in 1634 and then early in the 19th century an increasing population led to the decision to enlarge it and a new chancel was built in 1825.

In 1884, though, it was discovered that the walls and roof of the nave were in an unsound condition and the church was pulled down to the window sill level and rebuilt. As work was underway it was soon discovered that the walls had no foundations, so they were completely demolished and the church was rebuilt in sandstone with foundations, retaining the outline of the old church in 1885.

Due to a shortage of money the tower was not rebuilt until 1907, and the whole of the east side of the old tower was preserved, including the Norman doorway into the nave. The church is now a Grade II listed building.

In 1974 the old churchyard around the church was levelled and transformed into a pleasant garden which is maintained by Allerdale District Council.

The organ was built by George Sixsmith and the chapel underneath the organ loft was created in 1985. In 1990 an ancient font was renovated and moved to the front of the church near the pulpit.

The church is kept in very good condition with seating for 250, excluding the choir stalls and is gas centrally heated.

8.00am Holy Communion 10.30am Holy Communion (Sung)

8.00am Holy Communion 10.30am Family/Parade Service 6.00pm Holy Communion with Healing

8.00am Holy Communion 10.30am Holy Communion (Sung)

8.00am Holy Communion 10.30am Holy Communion (Sung)

8.00am Holy Communion 10.30am Holy Communion (Sung)

9.30am Thursday Holy Communion Messy Church 4-6pm on the 3rd Saturday of the month

http://www.stmary.cjb.net