Kirkby Lonsdale Team Ministry

The Revd Richard Snow
The Rectory
Kirkby Lonsdale
Carnforth
Lancs
LA6 2BA
015242 71320
rector@therainbowparish.org

Kirkby Lonsdale St MaryChurch SIF Form »


Kirkby Lonsdale
Approached from either Market Street or Fairbank, the churchyard leads to Ruskin’s View, overlooking the River Lune – a view made famous by the painter, Turner.
Details to follow

The earliest church in Kirkby Lonsdale was probably Saxon, but the present building dates from 12th Century Norman through many re-building phases ending in a major restoration carried out in 1866. There are some fine features for the visitor to see, from

8.30am 10.45am 6.30pm

8.30am 10.45am 6.30pm

8.30am 10.45am 6.30pm

8.30am 10.45am 6.30pm

8.30am 10.45am 6.30pm

Thursday : 10.30am

http://www.therainbowparish.org

Barbon St BartholomewChurch SIF Form »


Kirkby Lonsdale
Across the road from the Barbon Inn, St Bartholomew is on the left as you leave Barbon on the Dent road
Details to follow

The present building, a good example of work by Paley and Austin, was consecrated in 1893 on the site of much earlier churches. A chapel on this site was rebuilt in 1600 and stood for more than 200 years. Barbon became a separate parish in the late 19th C

10.30am

10.30am

10.30am

10.30am

10.30am

http://www.therainbowparish.org/

Casterton Holy TrinityChurch SIF Form »


Kirkby Lonsdale
In the village centre, close to Casterton, Sedbergh Preparatory School.

Holy Trinity is a busy and well used church.  It is one of the eight Rainbow Parish churches served by the Kirkby Lonsdale Team Ministry. Clergy members and lay readers take turns conducting our two monthly services, Holy Communion and Evensong.  Whilst our regular congregation is small, larger numbers attend special services held at Christmas, Easter and on Remembrance Sunday.

The church has currently two Churchwardens in post, plus a secretary and treasurer.  These officers have responsibility for fabric and gardening, the annual calendar, finance and liaison with the District and Parochial Church Councils.  Parishioners turn out for occasional ‘Boon Days’, when cleaning and grounds maintenance are brought up to scratch.  

The church serves as chapel to the adjacent Casterton, Sedbergh Preparatory School.  A Christingle service in January and choral evensong services feature the school’s chamber choir. Many parents and villagers attend the regular concerts given by its talented musicians and singers.

There is a modest social and fundraising programme. Basic running costs, repairs and maintenance are largely financed by a thrice-yearly grant from the Prep School and villagers’ standing orders.  Additional revenue comes from concerts and recitals given by choirs and instrumental groups of local, regional and national renown.  Excellent acoustics and a quiet location lend themselves to quality CD recordings.  Holy Trinity is host to ‘Sing Joyfully’, a newly formed choral group with a range of experience, and a strong emphasis on enjoyment in making music.

Built in 1833, the church owes its existence to the founder of Casterton School, the Rev William Carus-Wilson. From 1888 until 1976, Casterton was a separate parish with its own vicar. It is now part of the Kirkby Lonsdale Team Ministry

6.30pm

10.30am

http://www.therainbowparish.org/

Hutton Roof St JohnChurch SIF Form »


Kirkby Lonsdale
Details to follow
Details to follow

The most decorated non-combatant in the First World War, the Rev Theodore Bayley Hardy, VC, DSO, MC, was vicar of Hutton Roof from 1913 to 1918. It is thought there might have been a church at Hutton Roof as early as the 13th Century. The present church

11.00am

11.00am

http://www.therainbowparish.org/

Lupton All SaintsChurch SIF Form »  |  Location Map »


Kirkby Lonsdale
Lupton Church can be found on an elevated position to the north of the A65, on the eastern boundary of the village. It commands views over open countryside and is surrounded by a small well-tended church yard.

Small country church with a welcoming regular congregation.

The little church serving the community at Lupton was originally built in 1867 as a Chapel of Ease. Built in local stone, the church consists of a simple nave, chancel, vestry and porch. The stained glass window in the east end was installed in 1925.

9.30am Service

9.30am Service

http://www.therainbowparish.org/

Mansergh St PeterChurch SIF Form »  |  Location Map »


Kirkby Lonsdale
Details to follow

Small country church with a welcoming regular congregation and coffee.

An original chapel was removed when the church of St Peter was built in 1880 to a design by Paley and Austin. The unusual tower at the west end has a saddleback roof which is topped by a handsome weather cock.

11.00am Service

http://www.therainbowparish.org/

Middleton Holy GhostChurch SIF Form »


Kirkby Lonsdale
Seemingly isolated, the church nestles in farmland on the left hand side of the A683 beyond Casterton and Barbon.
Details to follow

A lovely little church surrounded by farmland, it was once used by gypsies on their way to the Appleby Horse Fair. The first church building on the present site was built in 1634. The present church was built in 1879 from new foundations. Among the typic

7.00pm

http://www.therainbowparish.org/

Preston Patrick St PatrickChurch SIF Form »


Kirkby Lonsdale
Situated off the A65 by Crooklands, and towards Kendal (very close to J36 of the M6). There is a large car park to the rear of the church.
Details to follow

Preston Patrick (Preston meaning priest town) is thought to derive its name from a house of Premonstratensian Canons founded by Thomas de Workington in 1190.

http://www.therainbowparish.org/