Kirkby Thore with Temple Sowerby and with Newbiggin

The Revd Sarah Lunn
The Rectory
Long Marton
Appleby in Westmorland
Cumbria
CA16 6BN
017683 61269
sarahlunn@care4free.net

Kirkby Thore St MichaelChurch SIF Form »


Kirkby Thore
Kirkby Thore, Penrith
Details to follow

The present church of St Michael's, the oldest part of which dates to the mid-12th century but almost certainly replacing an earlier structure stands on rising ground tot he north west of the Roman camp of Bravoniacum and xlose to the Roman Maiden Way from the camp crossing the Pennines to Alston. The church stands in its own ancient churchyard on the edge of the village of Kirkby Thore with fine views of Cross Fell and the Pennines to the north. The church retains its simple Norman plan but shows clearly the changes and extensions made over time with distinctive features of 13th, 14th and 15th century church architecture, culminating in a Victorian make over inside in the mid 19th century. One of the richest and largest parishes in the diocese, extending from the River Eden across the Pennines to the River Tees, the parish is now equal with the civil parish containing the village of Kirkby Thore itself and the outlying farms. It is now a shared benefice with the two neighbouring villages of Temple Sowerby and Newbiggin, which once were chapelries, perpetual curacies under the rector or St Michael's.

Newbiggin St EdmundChurch SIF Form »


Newbiggin
Newbiggin near Penrith, 100m north of crossroads
Details to follow

First mentioned in a grant of the advowson from Adam, son of Waldeve, (1199-1216) to John de Newbiggin, the church is described by Dr. Angus Winchester (in Landscape and Society in Medieval Cumbria (1987)) as a "comparatively late seignourial foundation"

Temple Sowerby St JamesChurch SIF Form »


Temple Sowerby
Temple Sowerby, overlooking Village Green
Details to follow

A document of about 1200 refers to a "Chapel of Ease" at "Sowerby", a very small church until 1770 when it was rebuilt in local sandstone. A clock was added to the tower in 1807 and the nave and chancel were largely rebuilt about 1875. (Became a parish