Armathwaite Christ & St Mary

Form 1A

(Rules 3.2 and 4.6)

Standard Information (parish churches etc.)

Armathwaite Christ & St Mary
Carlisle Diocese Code: 3211
National Church Code: 607121
Grid Ref: NY 506 462
The church building is to be found near the centre of the village, adjacent to the Old School Hall, which has a distinctive blue clock with gold characters (the church notice board matches the clock face precisely).
Carlisle
Armathwaite Christ & St Mary
Armathwaite
Inglewood Group of Churches
Penrith

Chapel. Early seventeenth century with early twentieth century restoration. Large blocks of dressed red sandstone, under graduated sandstone slate roof with coped gables and cross finials. Three bay continuous nave and chancel, with west open bellcote.

1402, extensive C17 restoration and early C20 additions
Yes
Grade II
No
No
No
No
Fair trade coffee
No
None
Yes
Yes
No
No
None
Michael Mansbridge
16/08/2013

Foundations date from 1402 Early chapel of ease which fell into disrepair and was rescued and rebuilt in the 1660s – the present roof and walls remain from this period. Restored in 20th century, including round-headed windows, but retains earlier material inside and out. Two early hatchments from Milbournes of Armathwaite Castle. One attractive window supplied by William Morris and Co, but in 1914, long after the deaths of Morris and Burne-Jones. Interior enhanced by modern woodcarving and embroidery, all produced locally.

Difficult because of fixed pews, limited space and lack of mains water.
Ken Bonsor and Jenny Roscoe
Church Wardens
21/12/2017