Coniston St Andrew

Form 1A

(Rules 3.2 and 4.6)

Standard Information (parish churches etc.)

Coniston St Andrew
Carlisle Diocese Code: 7390
National Church Code: 607172
LB Unique ID: 76783
Latitude: 54.368725
Longitude: -3.075684
At junction of A593 and B5285 in Coniston Village
Carlisle
Coniston St Andrew
Coniston and Torver
Coniston and Crake Valley
Furness

The present nave and tower were built in 1819 on the site of the original chapel built in 1586. In 1891 the building was enlarged by the addition of the chancel and vestry at the east end and an extra porch at the west end. A clock was installed in the bell tower. In 1907 an organ loft was erected and an organ installed.
In 2000 a screen beneath the balcony was added to provide a separate meeting area with kitchen and bathroom. 

1819
Yes
Grade II
No
Yes
Unknown
Yes
Lake District National Park
No
No
None
Yes
Yes
Yes
Old Churchyard closed by Order of Council 22nd December 1982.
Yes
Private Richard William Park, East Lancashire Regiment died 25/04/1941.
In the old churchyard - War Memorial (1920) designed by W G Collingwood (listed Grade 11), alongside the grave of L/Cpl J Hewitson V.C. John Ruskin's gravestone, also designed by W G Collingwood (listed Grade 11) In the new burial ground - Donald Campbell's grave stone erected in 2001.
Paul Grout Associates, 1 Angel Yard, Highgate, Kendal. LA9 4DA
05/12/2012

The Le Fleming family built a chapel here in 1586 and this was not replaced until 1819 when a typically Georgian building was erected. Pevsner and others refer to the chapel of 1819 as by J. Matson but again the listing description raises queries as it claims that Matson designed the significant alterations of 1891. There is little of the 1819 furnishings remaining and only the Le Fleming brass from the Elizabethan times. The church is simple in its design but with curious segmental arches over some of the windows. Some good stained glass with the west window of 1893 by Kempe. A pleasant interior with a gallery but in terms of significance it is perhaps the associations with John Ruskin that stand out. In the last years of his life, Ruskin lived close by at Brantwood and was buried here in 1900. His grave is marked by a cross, designed by W.G Collingwood who is also buried here, representing Ruskin’s work.

Associations with John Ruskin and Donald Campbell.

Meeting area at rear of church used for coffee mornings and meetings.
Nicholas Monk
Church Warden
17/08/2017