Ivegill Christ Church

Form 1A

(Rules 3.2 and 4.6)

Standard Information (parish churches etc.)

Ivegill Christ Church
Carlisle Diocese Code: 3332
National Church Code: 607136
Postcode: CA4 0PA
Grid Ref: NY 418 433
Latitude: 54.781332
Longitude: -2.904226
Carlisle
Ivegill Christ Church
Ivegill
Inglewood Group of Churches
Penrith

The Parish was formed in 1868 when Christ Church was built at the sole cost of the Reverend Arthur Emilius Hulton who came from a wealthy Southampton family.

The church was designed by RJ Withers and comprises Nave, Chancel, South Porch and Vestry. The East and West windows are by O’Connor of London and depict The Last Supper and the four Evangelists and four major Prophets. Other windows showing floral and fruit designs are by Powell of Whitefriars.

The oak reredos has three elaborately carved panels along with six illuminated metal panels depicting the Ten Commandments. These latter are the work of Creighton & Scott of Carlisle.

An attractive Millennium Tapestry worked by parishioners and others in 2000 shows a variety of parish scenes.

At the foot of the churchyard is a Peace Garden, opened by the Bishop of Carlisle in 2011, which includes an obelisk surmounted by a dove symbol adapted into a sun-dial.  The sculptor was B Cowper of Catterlen.

1868
No
No
No
No
No
Fair trade coffee and LE bulbsClose to narrow, natural valley
No
None
Yes
Yes
No
No
None
Stephen Mansbridge, North View, Renwick, Penrith. CA10 1JL
29/05/2012

New church of 1868 on new site. Architects Withers and Putney, a small local church practice. The outstanding feature of the church is undoubtedly the polygonal bell-turret and buttress on the west wall. Church built largely of Ivegill stone, faced with white shawk stone. Three stained glass windows by O’Connor of London, 1868 with East Window depicting the Last Supper, other windows containing floral and fruit designs by Powell of Whitefriars. Elaborately carved oak Reredos with commandment panels on zinc by Creighton and Scott, Carlisle.

Has MU and a children's group

Used by Ivegill Church of England School at least twice pa.

Some extra space , has car park and toilet.

John Stronach
Church Warden
05/04/2016