Staveley in Cartmel

Form 1A

(Rules 3.2 and 4.6)

Standard Information (parish churches etc.)

Staveley in Cartmel
Carlisle Diocese Code: 9302
National Church Code: 607262
LB Unique ID: 422155
Latitude: 54.265275
Longitude: -2.954359
Located in idyllic surroundings to the south of the village.
Carlisle
Staveley in Cartmel
Staveley in Cartmel
Cartmel Peninsula Team Ministry
Windermere

A church was first established on this site in the aftermath of the Dissolution of the Monasteries when Cartmel Priory was dissolved as part of the Henrician Reformation and a chapel was built on the present site using materials from Cartmel. This occurred around 1537. After three restorations the church was opened as a church by the Bishop of Carlisle on May 29th 1897 and dedicated to St. Mary the Virgin. The Lych Gate was erected as a war memorial in 1927. It was constructed of locally grown oak grown in the parish. The churchyard contains numerous headstones and also some vaults, some of which are hewn in the rock.

The church community of St Mary’s is friendly and inclusive. We welcome families, walkers and visitors. Most of our services are Holy Communion. Members of the congregation are involved in reading lessons and administering the chalice.

1618
Yes
Grade II
No
No
Yes
The Lake District National Park
No
Lych gate, war memorial
No
None
Yes
Yes
No
Yes
There is one War Grave identified.
The war memorial is carved into the Lych Gate, which is made of local oak and II-Sundial.
John Coward Architects Ltd, No. 3 Unsworths Yard, Ford Road, Cartmel, Cumbria. LA11 6PG
18/06/2012

A Chapel was built here, after the dissolution, using materials from Cartmel Priory. The first documented mention of this church was in 1618 when Henry Longman is recorded as curate and schoolmaster. In 1678 the church underwent its first restoration when additional windows were added. A second restoration, possibly in 1793, saw the south aisle added together with the present tower. In 1841, an adjacent piece of land was purchased to form the churchyard. A third restoration of 1896-7 by Austin and Paley is recorded on a beautiful copper? plaque in the Arts & Crafts style. Austin and Paley’s hand is clearly evident in some of the details, including the open timber roof. The present stone font, situated opposite the main door is also thought to originate from this restoration. The original font (dated 1678) is now a Grade II listed sundial in the churchyard. The substantial Lych gate was erected as a War Memorial in 1927. The clock in the church tower was made by Smiths of London and came originally from Fell Foot and was installed in 1977. There are, apparently, also vaults, some of which are hewn into the rock. The plate of 1792-3 mentioned by Pevsner is believed to be located elsewhere.

Church hall does.
Eddie Hodgson
Church Warden
03/03/2016