Warwick on Eden St Leonard

Form 1A

(Rules 3.2 and 4.6)

Standard Information (parish churches etc.)

Warwick on Eden St Leonard
Carlisle Diocese Code: 1450A
National Church Code: 607070
LB Unique ID: 77738
Latitude: 54.903085
Longitude: -2.8834365
The church is located behind the Memorial Hall in the village. If approaching from Brampton, take the A69 over the River Eden and up the hill. At the top of the hill turn right and follow the track up to the church.
Carlisle
Warwick on Eden St Leonard
Warwick
Holme Eden and Wetheral with Warwick on Eden
Brampton

This remarkable church is tucked away in fields behind a fine Georgian Sunday School. Its eye catching late Norman semicircular eastern apsidal sanctuary surrounded by thin pilaster strips surmounted by small rounded arches is a great rarity in England. St Leonard’s lives up to Pevsner’s accolade as being ‘the most memorable Norman village church in Cumberland’.

C12
Yes
II*
No
Yes
Warwick on Eden Conservation Area
No
No
-Fine landscape setting
No
None
None
Yes
Yes
No
Yes
Unknown
None
FJ Elliott
08/04/2010

This remarkable church is tucked away in fields behind a fine Georgian Sunday School. Its eye catching late Norman semicircular eastern apsidal sanctuary surrounded by thin pilaster strips surmounted by small rounded arches is a great rarity in England. The lancet windows are later, introducing light into the once mysterious early medieval space. Constructed during Henry I’s period of burgeoning church expansion, it was probably a 2:1 ratio two cell building. Internally, the Norman presence is dominated by the magnificent western arch, probably the relocated chancel/tower arch that is supported by scalloped capitals that are decorated by corn motifs which match those in Carlisle Cathedral dating from c.1130. This coincides with first written records of a chapel at Warwick. The dressed red sandstone and graduated Westmorland slate building was altered in 1869 by R.J.Withers who raised the roof and introduced the barrel vaulted timber ceiling and J.H. Martindale who added the baptistery/west porch in 1910. Fine figurative stained glass windows introduce colour. In spite of later changes, St Leonard’s lives up to Pevsner’s accolade as being ‘the most memorable Norman village church in Cumberland’.

Settlement in vicinity of church

Good spatial relationshipsSpiritual space with sense of history

The church was closed for worship on 30 April 2017

The church was closed for worship on 30 April 2017

Sinclair Graham
Churchwarden Wetheral with Warwick
01/05/2018