As a Church we are required to best equip our leaders and people to recognise and respond to safeguarding issues. The House of Bishops has therefore agreed a detailed guidance document that addresses training in core aspects of safeguarding within the context of worshipping communities. At the present time these requirements apply to all leaders (ordained and lay leaders) and those working or volunteering on behalf of church communities with children, young people or vulnerable adults. They apply therefore to all members of the Church of England leading or working in new or emerging forms of Church, including mission communities.
In the Diocese of Carlisle we have a new Training Officer, Sarah Crouchley, for 2020 to deliver Leadership safeguarding training across Cumbria (this was previously known as C2).
The Church is now moving to the delivery of the Basic Awareness (formerly C0) and Foundation (formerly C1) modules on line. To sign up to these modules, you can use the links below.
Please note that if a parish (usually via the Parish Safeguarding Officer) wants to deliver the basic awareness or foundation module face-to-face, the training packs are available to download below. We can advise you on how you might do this but please remember to record your training on your Parish Safeguarding Training Recruitment spreadsheet.
Training Sessions (Feb to July 2020)
Training will be held at a variety of venues and offered at different times throughout the diocese. This schedule is advertised on the website and in the eNews. Details of venues, parking and facilities will be made available to all delegates.
The maximum group size will be 20 to enable group discussion and positive learning experiences. Training sessions will be led by the Diocesan Safeguarding Trainer supported by the Diocesan Safeguarding Adviser Charles Proctor and a number of trained volunteers. Attendance at Diocesan training will be noted and certificates issued. All training is completely free of charge.
Links and Resources
- (C0) Basic Awareness and (C1) Foundation Training
- (C2) Leadership for Both Lay Leaders and Clergy
- Leadership Module Training Dates - February to July 2020
- Basic Awareness Training Pack for Parishes - Trainer Manual PowerPoint
- Basic Awareness Training Pack for Parishes - Handout 1
- Basic Awareness Training Pack for Parishes - Handout 2
- Foundation Awareness Training Pack for Parishes - Trainer Manual PowerPoint
- Foundation Awareness Training Pack for Parishes - Flowchart for Safeguarding Concerns
- Foundation Awareness Training Pack for Parishes - Definition, Background Information, etc
- Foundation Awareness Training Pack for Parishes - Types of Abuse