Officially, the Bishop's Council is the standing committee of our Diocesan Synod. It consists of 20 people, some ex officio and some elected by diocesan synod members every three years.
Our Bishop’s Council is also the Diocesan Mission & Pastoral Committee (which decides on changes to parish boundaries and clergy deployment).
This means the Bishop's Council is a busy group! It meets five times a year (including a residential) and examines issues and policy in more detail than the Diocesan Synod can hope to achieve.
Bishop's Council Members
- The Right Rev James Newcome, Bishop of Carlisle
- The Right Rev Dr Emma Ineson, Bishop of Penrith
- The Very Rev Mark Boyling, Dean of Carlisle
- The Ven Dr Richard Pratt, Archdeacon of West Cumberland
- The Ven Lee Townend, Archdeacon of Carlisle
- The Ven Vernon Ross, Archdeacon of Westmorland & Furness
- The Rev Canon Cameron Butland, Bishop's Chaplain
- The Rev Robin Ham
- The Rev Jane Maycock
- The Rev Andrew Norman
- The Rev Shanthi Thompson
- The Rev Andrew Towner
- Dr Chris Angus
- Mr Rob Cook
- Mrs Val Hallard
- Mr Charles Howarth
- Mr Jim Johnson
- Mr Mark Wilson