Officially, the Bishop's Council is the standing committee of our Diocesan Synod. It consists of 20 people, some ex officio and some elected by diocesan synod members every three years.
Our Bishop’s Council is also the Diocesan Mission and Pastoral Committee (which decides on changes to parish boundaries and clergy deployment).
This means the Bishop's Council is a busy group! It meets five times a year (including a residential) and examines issues and policy in more detail than the Diocesan Synod can hope to achieve.
Bishop's Council Members
- Bishop of Carlisle - Vacancy in See
- The Right Rev Rob Saner-Haigh, Bishop of Penrith
- Vacant - Dean of Carlisle
- The Ven Stewart Fyfe, Archdeacon of West Cumberland
- The Ven Dr Richard Pratt, Associate Archdeacon of West Cumberland
- The Ven Vernon Ross, Archdeacon of Westmorland and Furness
- The Rev Canon Cameron Butland, Bishop's Chaplain
- The Rev Robin Ham
- The Rev Jane Maycock
- The Rev Andrew Norman
- The Rev Shanthi Thompson
- The Rev Andrew Towner
- Dr Chris Angus
- Mr Rob Cook
- Mrs Rachel Milburn
- Mr Charles Howarth
- Mr Jim Johnson
- Mr Neil Barrett
- Mr Martin Lawson