Diocese of Carlisle

Applying for a Faculty


A Faculty is a Permission to do something in Church. The system of Faculties goes back to the middle ages.

When the state introduced a planning system, it allowed the Church an exemption from the civil planning system - but of course we have to be faithful in observing the rules of our own planning system - the Faculty Jurisdiction.

The people running the Faculty Jurisdiction are the Archdeacons, the Diocesan Advisory Committee (especially the DAC chair and Administrative Secretary), the Registrar and the Chancellor.

Click here for DAC dates.

Simple Repairs - List A and List B

During 2015, there was a significant reform and simplification of the Faculty System, which came into force on 1 Jan 2016:

Some very minor matters are exempt from getting a Faculty - you don't usually need permission to clean the gutters or change a light bulb!

Churches are also allowed to do very simple repairs without getting further permission providing that what they proposes to do falls specifically within the List A matters. But even in these cases, churchwardens / clergy should contact the Archdeacon before going ahead.

The next level of permission is List B matters where the Archdeacon, having consulted the DAC, can give permission, often with conditions.

All matters which are not List A or List B will still need a Faculty.

Early Sharing - Preliminary Advice

We strongly encourage churches to seek advice at an early stage of their thinking - the DAC is there to advise, and has many experts on it. Click on Preliminary Advice to find out more.

Getting a Faculty

There are two Flowcharts (downloadable below) illustrating the Faculty process: one is an overview, the second is a detailed chart of the whole Faculty process.

To get a Faculty you will need to complete an application form with a Statement of Need giving comprehensive details of what you want to do and why you want to do it, a Statement of Significance explaining what is significant about what you are going to do work on, and an Impact Assessment. 

Click here for more on Getting a Faculty.

For some works, you will need not only a Faculty but also Planning Permission, and Building Regulations. Click on Faculties and Planning Permission to find out more.

Links and Resources