Information for Clergy
Handbook and Supporting Documents
- Carlisle Diocesan Terms of Service HandbooK (PDF)
- Code of Practice on Local Ministerial Fees and Expenses
- Preventing Bullying and Harassment
- Lone Working
- Rights and Responsibilities in a Changing Church: A Guide for Clergy Contents (DOC)
- Rights and Responsibilities in a Changing Church: A Guide for Clergy (DOC)
- National Register for Clergy - Briefing from Bishop James
From May 4, 2021, the way in which marriages are registered has changed. It means the paperwork will be a little different for clergy and administrators. Click on the links below for further support and resources:
- New process for registering marriages
- Guidebook for the clergy (April 2021)
- New marriage registration - FAQs
- New marriage registration links
- Weddings Flowchart
- Marriage booking form
- Marriage booking form - alternative version
The main point for information for clergy on this matter is the Church Support Hub.
Click on the link below and the two training videos for training information for surrogates.
Ministerial Development Review
Links and Resources
Changes to marriage law for non-EEA nationals
The law relating to the marriage of people from outside the European Economic Area (EEA) was changed in March 2015.
Brexit, Banns and EEA/Swiss Nationals
In January 2019, the Home Office confirmed that they do not intend to make any changes to the sham marriage scheme on or immediately after the UK has left the EU.